Tax-free Childcare

Tax-free Childcare

If you are working 16 or more hours per week and earn at least £120 per week, but less than £100,000 per year, you may be able to claim help with childcare costs through the Tax-free Childcare scheme.

You can claim for children up to the September after their 11th birthday or up to age 17 if they have a disability.

For every £8 you spend on childcare the government will refund £2 into an account you need to open online. Up to £2000 per year can be refunded for each child or up to £4000 if your child has a disability. Your childcare provider needs to be signed up to the scheme.

You cannot get tax-free childcare if you are already claiming child tax credit, working tax credit, universal credit or childcare vouchers. If you are getting one of these, and you apply for tax-free childcare, it will stop and you may be financially worse off.

For more information, and to compare the different options see Help paying for childcare

Call the Lone Parent Helpline on 0808 801 0323 if you need advice.

Posted in Information & Advice, News, News, News.


If you have a question or need support please go to How to contact us

Facebook Twitter Youtube


Become a member of OPFS


How to Donate

OPFS appreciate all the support we receive

Donate to OPFS

Contact OPFS

OPFS Headquarters
2 York Place

0131 556 3899

Accessibility | Sitemap | Professionals

© One Parent Families Scotland 2019.
All Rights reserved.

Registered as: One Parent Families Scotland, a charitable company limited by guarantee. Registered at Edinburgh under number 094860. Scottish Charity Number SC006403